M.W.T.T.F.D.P.

Throughout this last unit of Light, Sound, and Time, we’ve discussed the evolution of time. Starting out by looking into the cosmic calendar and how it relates to humanity. We met with a graduate student who specializes in astronomy who talked with us about the expansion of the universe and dark matter. We also discussed the history of time and how one tells time without using out typical clocks. For my action project, I created a time-telling device and applying what I learned from this unit.

The time-telling device I have decided to create will be used as a motivational tool. For some people, setting goals and time limits can be a helpful mechanism and my device will assist in that. I call it the Motivational Water Time Tracker For your Daily Procrastination, or M.W.T.T.F.D.P.

It will be a cylinder device that holds water at the top. There will be a constant drip of water that over time fills the container. It will be adjustable to your needs with a minimum of 5 minutes and maximum of 12 hours. In order for the rate to be constant and changeable, I will have a pressure regulator on the top of the cylinder.

There will also be ticks on the side of the cylinder to act as goal setting marks. The device will be made of a transparent material (i.e. Plastic or glass) that allows you to write with a dry erase marker. This will be used to encourage getting things done by a certain point.

My inspiration comes from motivational water bottles that are intended to encourage people to drink more water by certain times of the day. In a New York Times article, reporters explain more in detail the idea behind it, but essentially, this water bottle allows you to better keep track of your water intake and uses motivational words to keep you going. My device will be similar in that there will be space for motivational words or goals. It will be different in that rather than this being a device that empties throughout the day by consumption, it is being filled and that water will be reused.

My device is also inspired by the hourglass. A tool found in early 18th century Europe. It was invented, however, by a French monk by the name Liutprand in the 8th century.

Below is my original idea and first draft of my idea. I think it's interesting to see the process and evolution of my project.

(KH, Visual, 2022)


Another thing that I wanted to share is the process of coming up with my title. If you havent noticed already, the title is pretty long and below you will find the messing process of getting to my final title, which I love.




(KH, Visual, 2022)

(KH, Visual, 2022)

(KH, Visual, 2022)


(KH, Visual, 2022)


Below, you will find Torricelli’s Theorem which is used to find the speed of a liquid under the force of gravity. In using this equation, I estimated that the height of my opening that allows water through, will be about 8 inches tall. With the force of gravity on earth being 9.8 N, all I had to do was plug in my numbers into the equation to find the flow rate.


(KH, Visual, 2022)


Below, you find the volume of my device which was not explained in the video.


(KH, Visual, 2022)

 I enjoyed making this action project but I do wish I had more time to create it. If I did, I think I could have created a better video and better visuals.

Comments

Popular Posts