College Acculturation - An Independent Study

Over the last few weeks, I have been taking a class called A Nation's Argument. We have been learning about the 1770s and looking at historical documents on the topic of independence to get a better understanding of how one creates an argument. I was given the assignment of declaring my an independent study on the basis of an unalienable right of my choosing. Independent studies is a way of self education at my school. Students are given the opportunity to learn more about a topic of their choosing. I decided to form my independent study on the basis of education. I find it an interesting topic and one that in some way applies to anyone and everyone. I am hoping this independent study resonates with someone and there is some agreement in my declaration.

Going into the world uneducated on the topic of post secondary education is in no way going to be a productive introduction to life. It is necessary that all those born human, have a sense of understanding and knowledgeable contribution to their individual future. If you do not have a full understanding of what it is you will be going into beforehand, you will be more likely to have a poor experience.

College is just one example of prior understanding being a major priority before committing. College acculturation is a necessary component in one's per-college education because it will help better equip the students' perspective.

Schooling is something that has become a vital part of our society and individual growth. One’s education, in our society, is a high priority and highly celebrated.

If you do not have a full understanding of what it is you will be going into beforehand, you will be more likely to have a poor experience.

Therefore, we must gain a better understanding of post-secondary education.


We have an unalienable right to quality education along with the right of understanding.
The United Nations includes in their Sustainable Development Goals the hope to “ensure inclusive and equitable quality education and promote lifelong learning opportunities for all.”
Goal 4 | Department of Economic and Social Affairs


The guiding question for my independent study is one of the following:
What is the purpose of college?

Is college a good fit for me?


I would like for the student to be able to answer both questions above.

It is given that education has a structure. We also need to understand that these different structures do not work for everyone. It should be given for individuals to understand what works for themselves.

I would like to build an independent study based on college acculturation. I want students to have a good understanding of what exactly college is. This would include having a good understanding of what it means to go to, why someone would go, the differences in types of colleges and what it's like to go. I want the student to start by understanding the differences between colleges, i.e. community, technical, vocational, public or private universities, for-profit, liberal arts, art, nursing, and special interest.

I would like the student to have a chance to talk to people who went to college and get to understand their experience.

I want the student to at the end of this course have an understanding of what they would like to do in terms of post-secondary education.

Some things I would like to include in my independent study:

College visits
Access to college lectures
Interview with college students
Interview with someone who chose not to go to college
Interview with college professors
Access to research tools

Students who are planning to advance past a post-secondary education need to have an understanding of what it is they will be doing in their future.

Comments

Popular Posts