The Taming of the Shrew Sonnet

These last few weeks, I have been taking a humanities class called Drama. In this class we have read/watched a famous Shakespearean play, The Taming of the Shrew. The Taming of the Shrew is a play about men trying to win the hand of a young beautiful sister, Bianca. They find out that they are not able to be married to Bianca until her older “shrewish” sister is married. The play goes through the process of these two sisters being married and how their opinions change throughout the play.
I was asked to form an opinion on the play and then imagine myself giving advice to one of the characters in the play in the form of a sonnet. I decided to write my sonnet to the older sister, Katherine, as someone trying to understand why she would change her opinions so drastically. 
As I was writing my poem, I thought it might be interesting to create an alternate storyline. In this storyline Katherine found love elsewhere. This love was to another woman, which in this time was frowned upon. I wanted my character to try to understand why Kate did what she did, but then still letting her know how she hurt her.

 

 

Sonnet:

Kate, you now say, “Thy husband is thy life”,
When once they said thou never could be tamed. 
Now, you are the most obedient wife. 
A woman may be made a fool”, you claimed. 

You must not shun the thoughts from whence you came. 
With me, you’re free to wish what may be seen.
In secret, there is no one to be blamed. 
But blame is why these thoughts do feel obscene. 

I feel as though you’ve struck me with a blow.
Even though that blow may be a fiction, 
I feel the pain you’ve caused me will just grow. 
The love once shared was beyond volition. 

I wish you the best on your endeavor, 
Married to a fool, now and forever.

Comments

Popular Posts