Panang Curry Food Review

The end of my freshman school year has been crazy. I will definitely remember this year for the rest of my life. The last humanities class of my freshman year was called Food for Thought. The last unit of this class was called Birth. In this unit we had a food critic speak with us about describing foods. He also gave us some pointers on writing. I created an action project that let me compare a restaurant meal and a home-cooked meal. I was very excited about this project because the concept is intriguing.


Panang Curry Food Review 


  Here I have two meals. These two meals are the same but one of them was home-cooked and the other was bought from a restaurant in my neighborhood. In this experiment I took some notes on these two meals and critique them. I started with the restaurant cooked meal first you will see some regular on this dish notes which I took while eating. I did the same with my home-cooked meal which was made with the assistance of my sister. I next compared prices. I was also able to look at the nutritional facts that I got from the website that I got the recipe from.

Restaurant cooked:

The dish that I ate is called Panang curry with chicken.
The food looked freshly made because of the vegetables in it. The sight of the dish was very appealing.
I could smell the cooked chicken and pan-fried vegetables. I could also smell the spices that were used but I was unable to identify what the spices might be. the texture of the sauce very creamy and the chicken was cooked well. The curry itself tasted both astringent and a bit sweet. The spice from the dish was a bit overpowering but overall it was well balanced with the chicken and the rice. The sauce was creamy and mildly spicy with many flavors. The rice balanced out the hot spicy flavor of the sauce. It paired well with the chicken. The chicken was cooked well; it wasn’t too tough. The bell peppers were a good added piece. The spinach had little flavor and seemed unnecessary.

I would say that this recipe is organic I have come to this conclusion because of the fact that they use many vegetables and the chicken in this recipe was not processed. I also think this because the restaurant that I got this from, Noodles Etc., is not a very commercialized restaurant like McDonald's.

I would say that for the amount of food serving it’s worth the price. I noticed that after being refrigerated overnight and warmed up the next day the rice and the chicken were very tough.



Homemade meal:

I am made the dish Panang curry with chicken and vegetables. After being cooked the dish looked very flavorful. This is because some of the spices were visible. Also because the curry paste was mixed in with the coconut milk and gave it a bright color. The dish had many strong smells including cumin, coconut milk, and some other flavors that I couldn’t identify. The sauce was very thin. I added rice on the side which went well with the curry sauce. The bell peppers were fresh so I thought it paired well. The chicken was a bit tough due to the way it was cooked. The taste of the curry had a very astringent taste. It also had a mildly salty flavor. Most of the ingredients in my recipe were organic. I wanted to see how much of it I could get organically.




Pricing: 

Homemade (four servings):

Curry paste = $7
Coconut milk = $4
Cooking oil = $3
Chicken breast = $9
Light brown sugar = $2
Fish sauce = $4
Lime = $0.30
Total = ~$29.30
One serving = ~$7.30


Restaurant (one serving):

$8.95 Nutritional value/facts: 

Home-cooked:

Servings Per Recipe: 4

Calories: 596
Protein: 22.3g %
Carbohydrates: 18.5g %
Sugars: 9.4g Fat: 51.2g %
Saturated Fat: 43.5g %
Cholesterol: 46mg %
Vitamin A Iu: 365.3 %
Vitamin C: 35.1mg %
Calcium: 65.2mg %
Iron: 8.5mg %
Magnesium: 139.5mg %
Potassium: 746.2mg %
Sodium: 980.5mg %

 Restaurant cooked: N/A

 Final thoughts: 

 I usually prefer a homecooked meal but with the recipe, I used it was not as favorable. I am also used to this restaurant and it is a favorite for my family. The biggest difference between the two dishes was the texture. The homemade meal was much thinner and the smell of it was stronger after being cooked. I think that if someone who might be more experienced with cooking then I am would have better luck with this type of recipe. So if I were to recommend either my home-cooked meal or the restaurant meal I would say the restaurant meal. This is not to say that if someone were making it themselves they would not have better luck.



Home-cooked recipe:
https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/213947/panang-curry-with-chicken/ 

Restaurant: 
http://noodlesetc.com/

Comments

Popular Posts