My Theoretical Garden Plan

The last term of the school year has been difficult for everyone. We are in the middle of a pandemic and it has controlled a lot of our regular routine. Our entire school has been moved online. We have been learning from our homes. Our most recent STEAM class is called food. In this class we think about agriculture and food production. We had the chance to watch a TED talk by a man, Ron Finley. We also read a book called One Straw Revolution by a man named Fukuoka. I have created a garden plan showing many different kinds of plants that I would include if I had a garden of my own.

“See, I'm an artist. Gardening is my graffiti. I grow my art.”

This quote is from Ron Finley a man who created a garden for his community in Los Angeles to have access to healthy food. This man has inspired me to start my own garden just like he did.

I started by planting some beans in a small pot I found in my house. I placed it on my back porch because I knew it would get a good amount of sunlight. Using the equation πr2 I found that the area of my planter is 12.57 in2. I found that the volume of the pot is 50.27 in3. I found this by using the equation πr2 x h.





I would like my garden to be placed next to my house. I have a designated patch of grass on the side of my house that I would like to build off of. I want to place at least one raised bed with an array of different vegetables. This raised bed will most likely be made out of wood. My goal would be to use recycled wood.

I split my garden into five spaces with walkways between them. In the middle of it, I placed sunflowers because they are one of my favorite flowers. In the upper right corner I chose to include cauliflower and tomatoes. In the lower right corner, I placed potatoes and corn. In the upper left corner I placed carrots and lettuce. In the lower-left corner I placed strawberries and borage. I chose these plants and vegetables because they are some of my favorites and because they work together. When looking at what is compatible with strawberries I noticed plant which I was unfamiliar with and after looking it up I wanted to include it because it was something that I haven’t ever come in contact with so I thought it was interesting.

 Below I have made a slideshow showing how I tested my soil.
 

Another person who helped inspire me was a man by the name Fukuoka. His philosophy was based around the idea of natural farming. He came up with four principles as a guide for natural farming. The first one is NO CULTIVATION. The second one is NO CHEMICAL FERTILIZER OR PREPARED COMPOST. The third one is NO WEEDING OR TILLAGE BY HERBICIDES. The fourth principle is NO DEPENDENCE ON CHEMICALS. I would say that my garden will follow these principles. I do not plan on using any chemicals or prepared composts.

Comments

Popular Posts