What is Your Impact?

  For my Water class in STEAM, we have been talking about the different uses for water and how it affects our lives. We started talking about math and where it fits into water, for instance, we talked about how much water is on the Earth and how much of it is potable, along with conversions, proportions, pie charts etc.


My class and I got to go on a water taxi to see all the different ways people use water in the city. It was a really cool experience because I got to see how much the city actually uses water each day. It showed me Chicago from a different perspective. I got to see the different ways we affect the river, good and bad. I discovered that taking the water taxi is a way of transportation that some people use everyday.  

 
                          To, Hiu (2019)                                                                     To, Hiu (2019)

   We also went to the nearest water source from my school, which was the Chicago River, to see how much water we could carry back and how long it would take. I was able to carry about 7 liters which  means I would have to go there and back about 45 time to get to my average water usage each day. Getting water from the river gave me the ability to learn and grow empathy for others who have to do this everyday, and sometimes at a longer distance. Rather than what I’m used to, here in America, where I can get water from any tap near me. It’s a lot different in places like Rwanda, Africa where they have to walk miles and miles to get clean water.

                    To, Hiu (2019)                                                                     To, Hiu (2019)








Sources:
| Watercalculator.org | d3ghkwrc702vrm.cloudfront.net | Piktochart.com | Waterforpeople.org | Water.usgs.gov |

Comments

Popular Posts